Saturday, November 14, 2020

Toy Train

Well that's Shimla visited.  Now we're getting the 2'6'' narrow gauge Toy Train back down the mountain to Solan, about a 3 hour journey, although the train continues to Kalka.  From there we continue by conventional train to Chandigarh and then Delhi for the flight home

Built between 1898 and 1903 so the British Raj could summer in the cooler foothills of the Himalayas, the KSR is known for dramatic views of the hills and surrounding villages, but unfortunately the weather isn't too great today.




"Smell No Evil, Eat No Evil, See No Evil" (with apologies to the Japanese monkeys)



It's all very well organised and seats are pre-determined - a list is printed on the outside of the carriages.



A few random shots along the journey, starting with a bird of prey soaring on the thermals.


I seem to have a thing for fire buckets.




Stops aren't always reserved for stations, seems like anyone can stop the train.




We were told of an amazing bridge with loads of spans - this is the kind of shot I wanted (Internet image).


Unfortunately, this is what I got


Our guide (I don't remember his name, but he was very good)


These last two images sum up my feelings of India - always a smiling face


And everything is shared - even the train tracks.


I had and amazing time considering I was on my own - but I did miss a certain someone x


In November 2020 during to the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic, having endured more than 6 months of lockdown and cancelled holidays and with no idea when we might plan such adventures again, I decided to revisit this blog.  Circumstances and the stresses & strains of being a solo traveller made me give up on this blog half way through (Jaipur) so I spent a few days rewriting some of the chapters and adding a few more.  

Some 6 months after my visit, Ian had the opportunity to visit India with an elderly client of his and I converted his emails into a kind of diary.  See Tales of A Weary Traveller